Everyone loves a good chicken gumbo- but not everyone knows a great gumbo recipe. If you haven’t got a good recipe, you haven’t got a good gumbo. Gumbo is one of those amazing foods- it’s filling and goes miles, keeping your family full and happy for a long time to come. You’ll love how quick and easy this recipe is, and you’ll enjoy the ingredients that we’ve put in it- you’ll remember the recipe for years to come and cook it once or twice a week for your family. No matter how impossible you think it is to get your family to eat their vegetables, they’ll go absolutely berserk over the immaculate flavor in this dish.
Of course, you’ll love how it makes you feel- the warmth, the heat, and all the great, delicious veggies, and the meat tastes absolutely fantastic. Cook this dish as long as you want, the longer the better, just let all the ingredients stew together and marinade in flavor, you’ll be amazed at how delicious this dish tastes.
What you’ll Need to Make Chicken and Sausage Gumbo:
Prep Time: 15-30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes (or more, depending on how long you have)
Serves: 6 or more
What You’ll Need:
1 lb chicken, any pieces you like (if you prefer dark meat or white meat, it doesn’t really matter)
1 lb andouille sausage, chopped (we prefer spicy, but any variety will work just fine)
2 tbsp minced garlic (don’t settle for only garlic powder, it makes a huge difference)
3 large carrots, chopped
1 1/2 cup mixed vegetables (frozen is fine)
1 1/2 cup chopped okra
4 medium sized turnips, chopped (chopped thin is best)
14 oz can stewed tomatoes (don’t skimp on quality)
corn cobs (for flavor)
32 oz chicken broth
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup frozen corn
1 large bell pepper (chopped well)
1 large onion, chopped (finely chopped)
1 1/2 tsp gumbo filet (again, quality is key for this recipe)
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
Salt and Pepper to taste
Whatever spice you prefer (we’ve made it with just a little Tabasco, we’ve even added Sriracha sauce for a spicy tang)
How to Make Delicious Chicken Gumbo:
1. Pour your vegetable oil into a LARGE pot, and turn the heat up to medium high, ensuring that your pan gets warm enough to saute.
2. When your oil is hot, simply add in chicken, seasoning it with garlic powder, onion powder and salt and pepper to taste. Add your onions, garlic, and bell pepper at this point- adding a little bit of salt and pepper. Add your andouille sausage and gumbo filet, chopped into rounds. Make sure you’re stirring it all up- you don’t want anything to scorch.
3. After ten or fifteen minutes, and your onions are translucent and the peppers are slightly cooked, add mixed veggies, carrots, turnips, tomatoes, corn cobs and okra.
4. Pour in chicken broth, covering the pot. Reduce the heat of the stove to medium, so your gumbo doesn’t burn.
5. You’re going to want to cook your gumbo for AT LEAST an hour. Stir it occasionally so that it doesn’t burn at all- you’ll ruin the flavor if you do. You’re going to want to stir it up several times before you serve it to make sure all of the ingredients are properly combined, and serve it over rice.
YOUR FAMILY IS SURE TO LOVE THIS EASY, DELICIOUS GUMBO RECIPE
No matter how hard your family is to please, they’ll love this recipe. It’s delicious, nutritious and filling. It provides a wide variety of delicious vegetables and a wide variety of healthy options for your family. It goes a long ways, and you’re sure to have leftovers! Enjoy this dish with your family- they’ll love it, and you’ll love seeing them enjoying their healthy food choices.
Get In Your Kitchen, and Get Your Fast Chicken Recipes This Delicious Chicken and Sausage Gumbo Recipe